Thursday, July 24, 2008

things that make us feel big and those that remind us we are small

It's been almost a week since my last post and my how the garden grows! My eggplants look like they are off to join the circus, they have become contortionists and I have my first harvest of baby tomatoes ~ all 10 of them! Which I will be incorporating into supper tonite with the patty-pan squash I bought at the farmer's market today and some of my rapid certainly responded to it with a great bounty of product, returning the thanks I suppose growing basil. Last week I put worm poop on the soil of all the veggies and they have.

My friend Karen and I have decided to start a new blog book club so we can read and converse on the on-line long distance (she's headed to Milwaukee!). I purchased our first book today for a penny, which I was thrilled with, The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2004 edition. I think it'll be a particularly good summer read due to the fact that there are a lot of goodies in it that are shorter. I find that my summer attention gets grabbed easily into watching the bees and trees and that I read like I eat, lighter and with attention on whats fresh. I am super excited! Right now I am reading Montessori Today by Paula Polk Lillard. It focuses on the basic approaches to Montessori education and has been really interesting. I'll share a few quotes that led me into a few of those 'hmmmm, I need to think more about this'/watch the bees/daydream about honey locust trees moments;
"Adults work to change the environment; children use the environment to change themselves."

I love this. I think we need to remember that in order to change our world we need to let it change us a little too, we can't be out of balance with it or it just won't work. Don't you think so?

"The formation of imagination is rooted in sensorial experience. it is the ability to picture material objects or real experiences in their absence, to see in the mind what we no longer see, to hear what we no longer hear. We take these images and make new mental creations from them. However, in order to do this we need to have had previous experience of these images."

So important, I think, in the realm of design (of life!) and the experience with "things" or objects or cultures that we need in order to have a better understanding of how we function with those objects and how we can rethink their purpose or use for the better.

By the way, there are Eames postage stamps at the post office right now and they are lovely. I sent out some thank you notes with them a few days ago and they made my envelopes look fancy.

No comments: